Obesity is a nutritional disease which is usually defined as overweight. Excess of body fat in obese dogs is due to over nourishment and less ability to exercise. Also some dogs have a tendency to retain weight are the most at risk for becoming obese. Obesity is one of the common dog disease which have adverse health effects. Obesity can cause reduction in the lifespan. It usually occurs in middle-aged dogs and generally in those dogs who are between the ages of 5 and 10. Also indoor dogs are tend to have a higher risk of becoming obese.
Check out the infographic by Big Pet Project which shows the causes and diagnosis for obese dogs:
1) Obese dogs mostly have imbalance between the energy intake and its usage.
2) Unhealthy eating habits, such as high-calorie foods, an alternating diet.
3) Other common causes include:- frequent treats, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism and neutering.
1) It is diagnosed by measuring the dog’s body weight.
2) By scoring dog’s body condition, which involves assessing its body composition.